Announcements!

Announcements!
7-29-2010: New (uprighted) video loaded on "Nitty Gritty" :)

Monday, July 12, 2010

Sea Legs

The boat has been rocking pretty good for the last 12 or so hours (we've had swells up to 9 meters) but I've gotten really good at walking through the ship without bouncing into the walls. I think I have finally gotten my sea legs. :) The normal gentle rocking of the boat doesn't phase me anymore and the stronger rocking doesn't make me woozy.

If you're curious as to how our ocean conditions are (and what science we're up to each day), see our Daily Ship Reports.

We've all gotten used to the ship schedule too. Meals are served between the 5s and 7s (5-7am, 5-7pm) and between the 11s and 1s. Movies are shown at 1:15, 3:15 and 7:15 (am and pm). Meetings between 1pm and 3pm and occasionally after dinner. We've settled into a shower and sleep schedule too which helps with the productivity on board.

We've all gotten used to the shipboard rules too. For instance, at all times in the hotel (the section of the boat where everyone sleeps), we have to walk softly, use whispers and be careful of slamming doors. This is because there is always someone sleeping 24/7. Also, to go onto certain floors on the ship, you need a hard hat and close-toed shoes.

Today is the 3rd day being at sea and I finally feel like I've gotten used to the shipboard life. We'll see how long it takes me to get my land legs back once the expedition is over. But I'm sure a little carbonated adult beverage is meant to speed up the conversion to land legs! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment