Announcements!

Announcements!
7-29-2010: New (uprighted) video loaded on "Nitty Gritty" :)

Friday, July 16, 2010

How's the weather down there?

Uh, Beautiful! Today and the past couple of days have been gorgeous! The sun is out, the seas are calm and the water is the most beautiful cobalt blue. The wind has been less intense than usual which makes spending time outdoors just awesome! The temperature outside is ~70 degrees (I'm totally guessing) and very pleasant but the wind chill (in the 50's - totally guessing again) is enough to keep most of us off the deck. That is, until beautiful days like today! :)


This was a couple of days ago.











This was yesterday. You can't tell (because of the auto white balance on my camera) but the water is the same color as it is in the picture above. Just gorgeous!














Weather is usually like this. Gloomy and gray with dark gray-blue water.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely and yet, so frightening in the great openness.
    Does the ship swell enough you need "sea legs" or is it smoother like a cruise liner?

    Also, how does being at sea effect your circadian rhythm? Is your sleep cycle changed from being out there? I'm just curious. Glad the weather has been holding out nicely for you, I'm sure you don't miss the heat here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly - lovely yet frightening to be out in the open waters.

    The boat is not as smooth as an ocean liner but better than most boats I've been on. We're faced into the wind (to make the boat less rocky and make for easier to drill) so it's not too bad - usually gentle rocking. I've definitely needed sea legs though - some days can get pretty swell-y. Overall, we've had really nice conditions.

    As for my circadian rhythm - it's definitely out of whack. There have been some nights it's been impossible to fall asleep before 2am. Other nights are ok. I think once we fall into a stricter 12 hour work day, it will be better. At least that's what I'm telling myself... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, thanks for answering! Kevin and I watched the drill video, it looks like hard but fun and exciting work.
    I hope you will get used to the sleep cycle, and if you work hard enough it's always easier to crash out and sleep well. :)

    Kevin also wanted to know if the ship is sunk a little lower, like with offshore rigs below the sea line so there is less swell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how the JR compares to other oil rigs, but I do know that the JR used to be a BP oil rig. It has very little swell, so I would guess it sinks lower like other offshore rigs do.

    ReplyDelete